Riverstone is looking for an experienced farmer for the position of assistant farm manager for the 2018 season. This is a position of responsibility. The applicant needs to have a working knowledge of commercial scale organic vegetable production. Our crop plan involves growing approximately 8 acres of annual vegetables and 2 acres of perennials. These are primarily, roots and leafy greens grown for regional wholesale markets and a winter harvest for local customers. Applicant would need at least a general understand of the following:
- Mechanization: Tractors, implements, irrigation systems. Riverstone employs a raised-bed system and we have equipment for bed prep, weeding, transplanting and harvesting.
- Greenhouse work: seeding and care of transplants
- Pathogens: General knowledge of how to deal with weeds, insects and fungal threats
- Organic certification: We are a certified organic, GAP farm. Need the basics on regulations and best practices.
- Computer skills: basic knowledge of social media and office programs. (Business phone provided).
- Management skills: Lead and motivate a team of 6-7 people.
- Energy and enthusiasm: Set the pace for the team. Provide hustle and an upbeat attitude.
- Customer Service: Be a willing and supportive partner to all our customers and suppliers.
This position offers a chance for growth and promotion on a developing farm. (7th year). Assistant manger will work directly for the owner and be given freedom to implement their own strategies and ideas within the existing framework.
Compensation: On-farm lodging possible. Food share. Salary dependent of experience.