It makes us think of warmer times and climes, but baba ganoush is a wonderful appetizer to make with the bounty of eggplants around right now.
- 2 lbs eggplant (2 mid-sized eggplants)
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp salt, more to taste
- Olive oil, herbs and olives to serve
- Pierce the eggplants with a fork and grill for approximately 15 minutes, turning regularly. They should be about 4-5 inches from the flame.
- Allow to cool a little so you can handle them, then peel off the skin and chop the flesh. Mash it further with a fork.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients adjusting the flavoring to taste.
- Spread in the serving dish and make a slight indent to pour in about a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Serve with flat bread or cracker