- 3 lbs stewing beef in cubes
- 1 lb onions in chunks
- 2 lbs vegetables in chunks (potatoes, carrots, sweet potato, squash, turnip, celery etc – your choice)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 2 tbs flour (optional)
- 2 cups beef broth plus a bottle of beer, cup of wine or cider, or more broth
- Salt and pepper
- Herbs and spices to taste (plenty of bay and thyme)
- Divide beef and olive oil into three batches and brown the beef in oil for a couple of minutes each batch, in a large pan or casserole dish.
- Remove beef and gently saute the onions and garlic for 3 or 4 minutes.
- For a thicker gravy stir flour into the onions at this point and then stir in the liquids, loosening any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add beef back to the pan along with all the vegetables, tomato paste and seasonings.
- Leave at low heat on the stove top, or transfer to a slow cooker, or bake in the oven at 325 degrees for 2 to 3 hours, or until the meat is meltingly tender.